Thursday, October 18, 2012

What is Love?

There. Right over there next to the counter at the party is the man of your dreams. Tall, dark, handsome, mysterious, friendly, killer smile, muscular- simple perfect. The next thing you know he walks up to you and sparks a conversation. You laugh and talk for hours and before you know it the party is over. Neither of you want to say good-bye so you plan to see each other tomorrow. You feel unlike you have ever felt before. Could this really be love, so soon?

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints defines love as, "a feeling of deep devotion, concern, and affection." There are many different forms of love and ideas of love that creating a universal standard is near impossible. There is a general idea of love among many but is it realistic? Studies show that there are four main types of love. These types are classified as agape which is a general love, philios which is a non-romantic love (a brotherly love), eros which is a passionate love and storge which is a parent-child love. My definition of love includes all four of these types plus more. I feel that love is more than a feeling, it is an ability. I have a different love for my friends, my family and my future spouse and each is unique and special to their relationship with me. Describing love can be difficult. What is your definition of love?


No comments: