Thursday, November 22, 2012

Staying Home

I've always wanted to be a stay at home mom but yet at the same time had some concerns. Do you relate? My biggest concerns pertain to not continuing to grow and being stuck inside all the time. I'm a social girl, I like to get out and do fun things and learn! This week I read an article by Dennis Prager called, "Does a Full-Time Homemaker Swap Her Mind for a Mop?" This article was soo interesting and brought light and comfort to my concerns. One of the most intriguing parts of the article was when Prager stated, "the intellectual input she [a stay at home mom] can find is likely to be greater than most women (or men) find working outside the home." At first reading this statement I wondered how that could be true but his support made sense and was solid evidence that broadening intellectual horizons is not limited to the work force. Mothers at home listen to the radio and have to actively engage and make an effort to learn and more often then not, you learn more when you desire it. Plus, stay at home moms are around all sorts of knowledge every day as they listen to the news and radio and engage in their children's and husbands lives. How do you feel about woman staying at home? Does Prager change your opinion on the worth of staying home?

If you would like to read Dennis Prager's article visit: Mind for a Mop

No comments: